Giant Digital Ltd. is a web consultancy business. We specialise in high quality, user-focused, accessible web platforms for ethical organisations and the third sector.
We’re looking for candidates to fill a front-end engineering role in our business. We’re looking for someone who is a mid-career engineer who understands the value of doing things the right way, not the fast way.
As part of your role you’ll be working on both existing and new projects, while researching new techniques, and working with our creative and back-end departments to deliver interactivity at a very high level of quality.
At Giant, our frontend developers are a key part of our engineering efforts; you’ll be working on vital code, for real clients with high expectations. You’ll be expected to stay up-to-date with industry trends, and help innovate for our clients. You’ll be working with our existing team of developers and frontend engineers; you’ll learn as much from us as we will from you. We support all our staff by providing training, conference tickets, and a work environment which encourages best practices.
This is a remote position, and you’ll be working with a fully remote team.
- £25,000-£35,000 pa., based on experience. Hours of 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Knowledge of SASS (and familiarity with ITCSS and BEM is a bonus)
- Understanding of REST patterns, and API consumption in rich web applications.
- Ability to transfer design to code (experience with Sketch is desirable)
- A critical eye and ability to use initiative to adapt and interpret static designs into attractive responsive layouts
- Knowledge of the model-view-controller pattern, and how it applies to modern web applications. Hopefully you’ll have some experience with a web framework or major CMS product. If you have worked alongside backend developers using Django or Rails before, that is a bonus.
- You should be comfortable with the command line.
- You should be comfortable using Git for source control.
- Ability to communicate effectively. We use company-wide chat and heavily rely on well written tickets and commit messages to update our clients.
- Ability to make pragmatic decisions, and then to defend them!
- 22 days per year paid holiday allowance, not including bank holidays.
- Technically competent management with extensive web development experience.
- You get your own book, magazine subscription and laptop budget.
- We develop a personal training plan for each employee, and we provide everyone with their own training and conference budget.
- Private healthcare for you and your dependants.
Our application process is typically made up of three parts:
- An informal chat over a coffee with our Technical Director; we will want to get to know you better, swap some stories, and try to understand your motivation and whether we can help you achieve your goals.
- A small test piece of work in collaboration with our team; you’ll join us in Slack, and be able to chat with us, ask questions, and get to know the wider team.
- A more formal interview, again with the Technical Director, and also one of the other senior engineers at Giant.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and links to relevant portfolio or social media.